Sports Pages → Volleyball
Updated Fri May 10, 2013 (1:18 pm) by Louise Carson
Congratulations to St Mary's on winning the title of Champion School of Volleyball. Finals Results from 2013 can be found in the Results Section.
Volleyball is a Term 1 sport played on Wednesday and Thursday afternoons.
Wednesday Senior A B C D and Yr 7/8 A B C D E F
Thursday Junior A B C D E F
All matches are the best of 5 sets and played between 4.00pm and 5.30pm.
Volleyball ProgrammePlease contact your school for details on Fixtures and Venues
2013 Volleyball Results by Fixture
Final 2013 Volleyball Placings
Senior A B C D
Junior A B C D E F
Year 7/8 A B C D E F
A reserve and a scorer should accompany each team, where possible.
School sport skirt/bloomers/shorts, shirt, socks and joggers.
- Played as per the draw
- Senior teams play on Wednesday - 4.00pm to 5.30pm
- Junior teams play on Thursday - 4.00pm to 5.30pm
- Year 7/8 teams play on Wednesday - 4.00pm to 5.30pm
Thursdays Junior A B C Junior D E F
Wednesdays Senior A B C D Yr 7/8 F Year 7/8 A B C D E
Junior & Senior Matches:
- all matches are the best of 5 sets
- beach volleyballs are to be used for all outside games and leather balls will be used for indoor games
- play should continue until 5.30pm
- the team winning a rally scores a point (rally point system). When the receiving team wins a rally, it gains a point and the right to serve, and it’s players rotate one position clockwise.
- Games will be played as per normal rules – ie. rally point to 25 points with a 2 point advantage
- in the case of a 2 set all tie, re-toss for serve for the deciding set (the 5th) which is played as first to 15 points. However, if the time reaches 5.30pm and the 5th set is not yet complete the game will cease and the score will revert to a 2-2 draw
- once the player has hit the ball, he/she may touch the post, rope or any other object outside the total length of the net provided that it does not interfere with play. It is only a net touch if a player touches the white tape during the playing of a shot or if in playing a shot you interfere with an opposing player.
- A let serve is a legal serve.
- For all Junior and Senior matches, irrespective of venue, normal foot fault rules apply.
- Ball toss rules on serve to be reinforced to ensure that the ball must be free of the hand when struck, it does not need to be thrown up, the hand can be dropped away before the ball is struck with the serving hand.
- If the ball is not struck after the toss and falls to the ground, it is “side out” and a point to the receiving team.
- Schools playing on short courts are requested to please list this on their fixtures.
- There must be a minimum of 5 players for a side to play. Players must be pushed up so top teams have the full complement.
Year 8 teams are to play the same rules as the Juniors and Seniors, except:
- For Year 8s, a mark would be made on the court 8metres from the net. Serves will be completed from behind this point. Crossing this mark before the ball is served would constitute a foot fault.
- Points will be awarded for each hit a team makes (1-3) before the ball crosses the net on the winning rally prior to the ball contacting the floor. Points are thus awarded on every play regardless of who served the ball.
Home school provides a carbonated scoresheet and both scorers sit together.
- Umpire to regularly check score sheet throughout the match.
- Score sheets to be signed by umpire/PE Staff.
All to be provided by home school
Competing students should have a good understanding of the rules and requirements of the game.
Net height 2.15m. Schools are encouraged to have the nets as tight as possible, especially on the outside courts.
Substitutions - players may be substituted either by court rotation (with change of service) or in direct substitution (one for one) in all grades. If playing the direct substitution rule the team must have numbered shirts and the coach must approacht hte umpire when calling a sub and control it. This is to be established between coaches and the umpire prior to the commencement of the match and maintained throughout the match.